Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ten Principles for Church Song (Part 1)

Good article regarding song selection in worship. I wonder about those that advocate only hymns in heaven... do you think they'll be surprised when the heavenly chorus of angels are singing non-hymns? I wonder if they'll complain to the director?

Ten Principles for Church Song (Part 1)

One point the article doesn't mention that I think needs noted in today's worship music culture. Let's focus on songs that lift up the name of Jesus and exalt him, not ourselves. If the song has "I" and "me" in it repeatedly and not within the context of submission or surrender we should be cautious. Worship that glorifies man but is cloaked in spiritual phrases or mentioning God has invaded the church and is not worship God gets fired up about, so guard against it!