Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Vacation in the smokies

We were in the Smoky Mountains from Sunday, Sept 18 through Friday, Sept 23.  My parent rented a cabin that was awesome.  3 bedrooms, game room with pool table and hot tube.  Very wonderful and refreshing time.  I'm planning to post pictures from the trip soon.

Sunday - we arrived in the Smokies around 9:00 pm and stayed at the Clarian Inn, a very nice South Bell style hotel.  The girls swam in their indoor pool on Monday morning.

Monday - Started the trip by shopping at the Tanger Outlet mall.  We didn't buy much but did a lot of shopping... went to the Tommy Hilfiger, Nike, Reebok and Fossil stores among others.  Later that afternoon we met my parents at the cabin.  That evening we went to the Titanic museum exhibit.  It was both interesting and unique.  

Tuesday - Back to the Tanger Outlet mall.  I bought 2 nice pairs of Adidas shoes for cheap (less than $60).  After shopping we met my mom and dad at Bennetts BBQ and it was outstanding.  I got the sample platter of pulled pork, BBQ ribs and quarter chicken, mmmm mmmmmm good!  We then we back to the cabin and rested.  That evening I fixed steaks for everyone on a charcoal grill.  Later Hillary and I went out to the Gatlinburg strip while mom and dad watched the girls.  We had a wonderful relaxing evening walking and taking in the sites.  The only thing we bought was some fudge at one of the shops.

Wednesday -  We went to Dollywood.  The girls enjoyed the kiddie rides.  I couldn't get Allie to ride the bigger coasters, but maybe in a another year or two.  The girls love the shooting star ride.  Allie rode the Barn Stormer with mom.  I had to ride it by myself.  It's a giant swing that extends 81 feet in the air.  Allie rode the Dizzy Disk with me, but couldn't get her to ride it a second time as she said it made her feel sick.  

Thursday - We slept in and then went on a hike in the park to a Grotto Falls.  

The girls loved the hike even though it was raining for much of it.  We were able to walk behind the falls and reach out and feel the falling water - very cool.  I carried Anna for part of the way but she walked for the majority of the hike which was about 1.4 miles each way.  After the hike we headed back to the cabin and had a spaghetti dinner.  

Friday -  Back to Dollywood (we got a 2 day pass for the price of a 1 day).  We let the girls ride more of the kiddie rides.  Anna rode the Sky Rider with daddy (it was down on Wednesday), she was the only one of the girls that was brave enough to do it!  Anna is our little adventurous dare devil!  All 3 of the girls rode Dare Devil Falls with me.  Abbie was the only one that didn't like it.  The other two rode it again.  We left Dollywood around 1:00 pm and went to the Nike Outlet where Hillary bought a pair of running shoes.  Then, back to the Tanger outlet mall again (3rd time) where the girls spent their $10 each that mamaw gave them at the Disney store .  After Tanger we headed to a large knife store, I bought a titanium plated Colt pocket knife that I'm going to give as a gift and a very small keychain knife to carry.  We then headed back around 5:00 pm.  We arrived home around midnight.  Ahhhh, back in my own bed.  How nice.  God blessed us with a wonderful and safe trip.